Description: Post-Revolutionary War to Civil War 1785 New Hampshire Broadside Printed Resolution Regarding the Administration of "Constitutional Oaths" June 9, 1785-Dated Post Revolutionary War, State of New Hampshire Printed Broadside, Regarding the Administration of "Constitutional Oaths," Choice Very Fine. This historic State of New Hampshire Broadside Document is 1 page, measuring 7.5" x 6", on fine quality watermarked laid paper. This Broadside is of a special Resolution passed by the House of Representatives and Senate on the same day, read and concurred. It reads, in full: "State of New-Hampshire. In the House of Representatives, June 9, 1785. Resolved, - That the several Justice of the Peace within this State, be, and they hereby are impowered, within the limits of their respective Commissions, to administer the Constitutional Oaths to Field-Officers, Captains and Subalterns already appointed, or that may hereafter be appointed in the several Regiments of this State : And also to all Coroners and Deputy-Sheriffs, and that any two Justices of any Court in this State, be impowered to administer said Oaths, to the respective Clerk or Clerks of such Court, and that they respectively make proper returns to the same, into the Secretary's office, within six months next after the administration of the same. -- Sent up for Concurrence. - JOHN SULLIVAN, Speaker. -- In SENATE, the same Day, read and concurred. - JOHN LANGDON, President. -- A true Copy, Attest, - JOSEPH PEARSON, D. Sec'ry." Penned Docket notation on the blank verso reads: "Sandown" (a town in Rockingham County, NH), apparently being a copy of this historic legislative Broadside meant for that town. Some light folds, boldly printed in deep black, trimmed close at left, the other three margins are full and wide. Overall, well presented and fully original with nice eye appeal for display. Extremely Rare, the first we have seen and offered. Sandown is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. Once part of Kingston, Sandown was incorporated as a separate town in 1756 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth. It was named for picturesque Sandown on the Isle of Wight. The first minister of Sandown, the Reverend Josiah Cotton, built the Sandown Meeting House in 1774. It had an 11-foot-high (3.4 m) pulpit and marble columns supporting the gallery, and is still an excellent example of early New England church architecture.
Request more information