Description: Historic Maps
Request more information
(1788) "The Part of Virginia which was the Seat of Action"
(1788) Revolutionary War Map titled, "The Part of Virginia which was the Seat of Action.," London, T. Conder sculpture. Framed, Choice Extremely Fine.
(1788) Original Revolutionary War Map, measuring 10.25" x 7.5" (by sight) framed to an overall size of 11.5" x 8.75". A well detailed Map of Virginia and part of Maryland, extending from the mouth of the Pautuxet River to just south of Cape Henry, and extending East to the Old Court House near Albermarle, Buckingham, Cumberland and Prince Edward Counties. Includes most of the Lower Chesapeake. This Map was bound into Volume IV of William Gordon's: "THE HISTORY OF THE RISE, PROGRESS, AND ESTABLISHMENT OF THE INDEPENDENCE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..." published in London in 1788, engraved by Thomas Conder, although Verner comments that the map is drawn from the Fry Jefferson Map. Includes numerous roads, counties, towns, rivers, court houses, islands, and other contemporary Revolutionary War Era information. Very clean and sharply printed on period paper, hand date "1788" written at the bottom right margin edge below the sculptor's name. A nice example with pleasing eye appeal that is ready to hang on display.