Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Discover Soviet Art & Books at Shapiro Auctions: No Reserve Lots of Drawings, Rare Books and Early Soviet Paintings
30 October 2016, 10:00 EST
New York, NY, USA
Timed Auctions are a new and exciting way to buy quality lots from exclusively participating auctioneers. Place your top bid to be executed in confidence or get notified when you've been outbid and come back to bid again.
Our Timed Auctions are convenient, secure and designed to enhance your bidding experience.
P.S. Remember to refresh the page to see the current bid, time left, and if the lot closing was extended.Close
Lot 155: A PAIR OF ILLUSTRATIONS BY BOBRI, CIRCA 1940S(71 views)
|Your max bid:
The Invaluable Live! SecureBid™ feature ensures you never overpay. Without disclosing your limit to anyone, SecureBid™ places your bids automatically, up to one increment higher than the last in-room bid or preset reserve, until we have reached your maximum bid.Close
(Enter more than $10)
Estimate: $300 - $500
VLADIMIR BOBRITSKY AKA BOBRI (UKRAINIAN-AMERICAN 1898-1986)
1. Illustration for The Guitar Review, marker pen and pencil on paper, 25.5 x 18 cm (10 x 7 in.), artist's inscriptions page 54 lower left, S/S lower right
2. llustration for The Guitar Review, ink and pencil on paper, 17 x 19 cm (6 3/4 x 7 1/2 in.), artist's inscriptions page 57 lower left, 3 3/4 midlle right.
Vladimir Bobritsky, widely known as Bobri, (1898-1986) was a Ukrainian-American artist known for his fashion and children`s book illustrations, costume and set designs, and poster art. In later years, he also became a composer and a guitar historian. He studied at the Kharkiv Imperial Art School in Ukraine, and began designing sets for the Great Dramatic Theatre of Kharkiv. After being dragged into the civil war in 1916, he emigrated to the United States in 1921. Soon afterwards, he began operating his own printing company, and his original newspaper layouts caught the eye of Saks Fifth Avenue, where he was offered the position of art director. By the 1930s, Bobri established himself as a leading illustrator of the advertising world, frequently contributing to publications such as Vogue and Harper`s Bazaar. He worked with many mediums to create his illustrations, including watercolor, tempera, chalk, pen, ink, gouache, cut paper, and often a combination of them to evoke depth.
For items shipped from New York City
(1) Lex Pack and Ship (Bob or Irma), Tel. +1 (212) 288-4425, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) The UPS Store (Waldo) Tel. +1 (917) 217-7680, email: email@example.com
(3) Fine Art Shippers LLC, (Oleg) Tel. +1 (917) 658-5075, email: firstname.lastname@example.org (also can help with Russia/CIS Shipments, including crates)
(4) Global Transit Group (Rostislav), Tel. +1 (718) 449-1971, email: email@example.com (also can help with Russia/CIS Shipments)
For larger items, art shuttles, and anything requiring wooden crates or specialized art transport
(1) Thomas Sullivan Transportation Management Inc.: +1 (718) 822-4169, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) Cadogan Tate Fine Art: +1 (718) 706-7999, email: email@example.com
(3) James Bourlet, Inc: +1 (718) 392-9770, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(4) Atelier 4: +1 (718) 433-3500, email: email@example.com
(5) Max Art International LLC, (Darius) Tel. +1 (917) 502-8731, email: firstname.lastname@example.org (also can help with Russia/CIS Shipments, including crates)
For local van and truck deliveries in New York City, Long Island, and the Tri-State Area
(1) Crossroads Delivery (Arthur): +1 (917) 807-3758, email: email@example.com
(2) ArtWay Fine Art Services (Lenny): +1 (718) 213-6886 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, all buyers are responsible for paying for picking up their purchased items in person, or arranging and paying for shipment. Clients are free to choose their own shippers. We are not liable for the actions of any outside shippers and these recommendations are provided only for convenience. All items must be paid for within 7 days of the auction, regardless of whether shipment or pickup arrangements have been made.