Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Lot 301: Archive Collection of Civil War $300 Draft Commutation Money and related items
29 October 2016
Rancho Santa Fe, CA, USALive Auction
Civil War Union Documents
Important Collection of Civil War "Commutation" Money & Related Historical Civil War $300 Draft Substitute Items
Large Archive Collection Lot of 15 Civil War Commutation Money and related Civil War $300 Draft Substitute items. One of the largest and best collections of Commutation items we have seen. ** Please View our Auction Website at: www.EarlyAmerican.com for complete listings and descriptions, along with photographs of all items.
** Please View our Auction Website at: www.EarlyAmerican.com for complete listings and descriptions, along with photographs of all items. This historically important Archive Collection Includes 12 separate lots, with a combined total of 15 Individual Items:
1. 1863 Provost Marshall's Cicular No. 89 pertaining to Civil War Commutation Money.
2. 1864 Civil War Recruiting Advertisement: "15,000 Substitues Wanted!"
3. 1864 Commutation Money Receipt.
4. 1864 Certificate of a Substitute Volunteer Enlistment.
5. 1864-65 Pair of Statements of Volunteers. (2 items)
6. 1865 Volunteer Bounty Bond.
7. 1865 $300 Bounty Fund Bond.
8. 1864 $300 Bounty Fund Bond.
9. 1864 Commutation Money Receipt.
10. Three Notes, Commutation Money. (3 items)
11. 1864 Civil War Draft Acknowledgement of a Substitute.
12. 1864 Commutation Money Trasmittal Letter.
This collection took many years of search to compile and represents one of the most comprehensive and extensive offerings regarding the highly controversial Union's Civil War Federal $300 Draft Substitute program which allowed wealthy individuals the right to literally "Buy" their way out of military service!