Invaluable cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations through Google Translate and disclaims any responsibility for inaccurate translations.
Lot 1512: BROOKLYN ACADEMY OF MUSIC
29 October 2016
Brussels, BelgiumLive Auction
Description: 4 February 1864 BROOKLYN. Shares of $50. black. No 592. Repaired edge-tears and some paper of upper left border missing. Vignette of music and musical instruments. Issued to the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) Treasurer, J.H. Frothingham. Founded in 1861, the first BAM facility at 176-194 Montague Street inBrooklyn Heights was conceived as the home of the Philharmonic Society of Brooklyn. The building, designed by architect Leopold Eidlitz, housed a large theater seating 2,200, a smaller concert hall, dressing and chorus rooms, and a vast "baronial" kitchen. BAM presented amateur and professional music and theater productions, including performers such as Ellen Terry, Edwin Booth, Tomas Salvini, and Fritz Kreisier. After the building burned to the ground on November 30, 1903, plans were made to relocate to a new facility in the then fashionable neighborhood of Fort Greene. The cornerstone was laid at 30 Lafayette Avenue in 1906 and a series of opening events were held in the fall of 1908 culminating with a grand gala evening featuring Geraldine Farrar and Enrico Caruso in a Metropolitan Opera production of Charles Gounod's Faust. The Met would continue to present seasons in Brooklyn, featuring star singers such as Caruso, right through until 1921. The new building is adjacent to downtown Brooklyn, near the Atlantic Terminal of the Long Island Rail Road and the Williamsburg Savings Bank Tower. The Academy is very active today, with a reputation for promoting 'cutting edge' modern music, and also theatre, third-world music and much else, mostly of a 'progressive' nature. Rarity 12.
Condition Report: F-VF