Description: 16 December 1846 Cert. of £25 Share. black. No 7153. The Cornwall Railway ran from Plymouth's Cornwall Junction, Devonport and across the River Tamar into Cornwall. It formed the last part of the trunk route from London to Penzance, the section from Truro to Penzance already having been constructed as theWest Cornwall Railway. The company was formed in 1846. Of the authorised capital (£1,600,000), the South Devon Railway provided £150,000, while the Great Western supported the project to the tune of £75,000. The Bristol and Exeter Railway contributed £112,000. The line was to be built to Brunel's "Broad" gauge of 7ft 1/4 ins, and after a slow and unsteady start, Brunel proposed that the line be single track throughout so that it could be built quicker and for less than £800,000. The line in Cornwall, from Truro to Liskeard, was completed first, in 1852, and then the contract was let for the stretch from Devonport to the bridge at Saltash, by Plymouth. The line was leased by the Great Western Railway from 1866, which was then able to run through services from London (Paddington) to Penzance. The Cornwall Railway Co. was liquidated in 1889.
Condition Report: EF
Request more information