Lot 200: FRENCH CARVED CAMEO GLASS AND SILVER-GILT-MOUNTED SCENT BOTTLE, BURGUN SCHVERER & CO. (VERRERIE D'ART DE LORRAINE), 1890-1900.
25 October 2016
Portsmouth, NH, USALive Auction
Description: Of bulbous form, overlaid, acid-etched and wheel-carved with stems of Bleeding Heart and two pinwheel devices, internally-decorated in red and green and with small areas of martele decoration to the ground, signed "B.S. & Co. Depose" in gold, the silver mount of matching flowers and leaves and the base surrounded by an ivy vine, the base with maker's initials MV centering a tankard into a lozenge, the stopper, collar and base each with Minerva head 1 guaranty mark. Height 4 5/8 inches. In 1824 the Meisenthal Glass Works, located in the area of Alsace-Lorraine, France, incorporated as Burgun, Schverer & Co. In 1864 when Charles Galle entered into business with Meisenthal, the glassworks were headed by Mathias Burgun, one of the most competent glass masters of the day. In 1867, Burgun asked Emile, Charles' son, to provide apprenticeship in glass decoration. At the same time Desire Christian, an extremely adept artist of the same age, was also practicing with Burgun. In 1889, Desire Christian and Antoine Burgun succeeded Mathias in the management of the company. At this time they increased their collaboration with Galle. It was in the same year that Galle enjoyed significant success following the Exposition Universelle de Paris. In 1901, ownership of Burgun, Schverer & Co. was restructured and shares were attributed to Burgun, Galle and Christian. However, the majority ownership fell to bankers in Metz who provided capital for the renovation of the glassworks. Soon after Antoine Burgun was relieved of his post and replaced by Emile Wanner in 1903, who also became a shareholder. At this time the company lost its focus on art glass.