Description: Glazed ceramic. China, Tang, approx. 8th to 9th cent.
Request more information
Typical Changsha ware with green-grey glaze similar to Seladon and fine craquelé. Rarely found in this size and as well-preserved! Flat, unglazed bottom, gently curved body, short neck with flared mouth. Stout, six-ridged spout, tall attached, ribbed, arched handle, further two ribbed band grommets. Three large, brown glazed fields on the sides presenting relief décor inside them. Below the spout is a depiction of a lion dog shizi with an offspring, beneath each of the eyelets is a composition of fine feathered leaves and grapes. The brown areas cusp towards the bottom in a trail ending with a drop formation.
HEIGHT 21 CM
From the former Swiss collection of Jürgen L. Fischer
The renowned collector of Chinese porcelain Jürgen L. Fischer lived in Ascona, located in the Swiss Kanton Tessin at Lago Maggiore. The extensive size of the collection is largely owed to the family’s fortune, secured by pharmacist August Fischer and his revolutionary invention – the world’s first adhesive made from synthetic resin, the famous “Uhu Alleskleber”, developed in 1932. Jürgen L. Fischer lived until 2013 and was an avid collector of Chinese porcelain whose astonishing taste encompassed a broad spectrum of types, of all sizes and with origins spanning across millennia. Jürgen Fischer passed on his comprehensive knowledge in numerous text books – among others, his large and very instructive book about the art of Chinese snuff bottles and also an antiquarian’s guide to Chinese art.
Jürgen L. Fischer 先生是歐洲人收藏中國美術品第一個藏家至一。Fischer先生的祖父August Fischer 在 1932 年曾發明了所謂 “Uhu“ 膠水”，成為世界上第一種化學膠水，幫家庭經濟情況提高，讓其美術作品收藏天天增加。 Jürgen L. Fischer 先生失去於2013年，其收藏活動最多集中於中國個個時代，個大小以及個風格的陶瓷品。Jürgen L.Fischer先生的懂此學科很深，他也曾編幾本專門書籍。其中有關鼻煙壺以及收藏中國美術的專書最為出名。
A very similar example decorated in the same technique can be found in "Han Tang Taoci Daquan", Taibei 1992, page 512, and on page 515, also an example with a lion depicted under spout. Also in "Zhongguo Wenwu Jinghua Daquan”, Taibei 1993, no. 196