Lot 327: WEMYSS WARE CABARET SET, CIRCA 1895
26 October 2016
Edinburgh, United KingdomLive Auction
CABARET SET, CIRCA 1895
each piece decorated with hearts and ribbons, and bearing cypher with initials EAW, and comprising a SERVING TRAY, 44cm across; a TEAPOT & COVER, 11cm high; a TEA CUP & SAUCER, saucer 13cm diameter; a SUGAR BOWL, 7.5cm diameter; a MILK JUG, 6.8cm high; and a SIDE PLATE, 12.3cm across; impressed maker''s marks WEMYSS WARE/ R.H.& S. (6)
Pieces in good overall condition, with fine crazing to all pieces
Sugar bowl in good order
Side plate in good order
Tea cup in good order
Tray with some light staining across middle section and by inside rim here and there
Milk jug with some very minor fritting to glaze at rim
Saucer with a minor fleabite to rim and some minor fritting to glaze in places at rim, otherwise in good order
Teapot with a minor patch of light staining to spout
Under the Conditions of Sale applicable to the sale of the lot, buyers must satisfy themselves as to each and every aspect of the quality of the lot, including (without limitation) its authorship, attribution, condition, provenance, authenticity, age, suitability and origin. Lots are sold on an ''as is'' basis but the actual condition of the lot may not be as good as indicated by its outward appearance. In particular parts may have been replaced or renewed and lots may not be authentic or of satisfactory quality.
Any statement in relation to the lot is merely an expression of opinion of the seller or Lyon & Turnbull and should not be relied upon as an inducement to bid on the lot. Lots are available for inspection prior to the sale and you are strongly advised to examine any lot in which you are interested prior to the sale. Our condition report has not been prepared by a professional conservator, restorer or engineer.
Provenance: Lady Wolverton, Queensberry House, Newmarket, Suffolk, sold Christies 5th May 1987, Lot 230
Note: This cabaret set formed part of an extensive set of Wemyss made as a wedding present for Lady Wolverton in 1895.